Sunday, March 7, 2010

March 7th - #64

This one may surprise people who know me well. So NOT my normal color scheme. This was a BOM program I signed up for at The Calico Cat in Auburn, when I was still living down there. Every month you got a packet and you made a tree block and a setting block. I worked on it pretty promptly for the first couple of months and then had to start packing away to move. It was years later than I got it back out and actually finished it up at a retreat. When I had the center done, and opened the final envelope which had the finishing fabrics in it, I found that the border print was not cut correctly, which was very disappointing. Luckily I was able to find some more after much searching so I could finish the job. And then I donated the quilt to the Boy's and Girl's Club Auction where it raised I think $850. I was actually making a second quilt at the same time using the patterns, but doing it in spring like florals, but I didn't have enough of two fabrics that were vital, so it got tucked away again. I know it's in there somewhere.....
My husband Lynn has been moping around a bit for the last few months about our car. He is driving "my" Buick which I had bought brand new about 2 months before we found out we were going to be moving up here. I was working full time at the time, and we had plenty of budget for a new car payment and my van at the time was running on empty after years of hauling kids! Three years ago we replaced Lynn's small pickup with my the Mega truck I drive now, and he took over the Buick. But it now has over 150K miles on it and even though it has been a fabulous car, it is starting to show some wear. Long ago he had a nice dark blue 5L Mustang. Never a good idea when you have 14, 15 and 16 year old boys in the house.....so after they ran that car into the ground Lynn went back to "practical" cars. Now that retirement is approaching, he has had that "mustang" itch again. We stop periodically at a nearby dealership and just look at the new ones. He really doesn't want a new car, along with a new car payment. And the Buick still runs great...so he just keeps dreaming. And then yesterday, when he was out on a ride on Vespa he spotted a silver mustang on a corner lot with a for sale sign. It is almost too good to be true. It's a 2003 but only has 57K miles on it. Older than he was hoping for but it is in such pristine condition! So we are meeing the owner in an hour to see if a deal may be struck! The owner is a pilot based out of Texas, and the car has Texas plates. He bought it down there and used it to drive back and forth for work, then brought it up here 3 years ago when he moved up here and it has been parked in his private plane hanger. He figured it was time to sell it since he really isn't driving it anymore. So we'll see!!!

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ohh a mustang - will you get to drive it. Love the tree quilt, you should get out the other one and finish it so we can all see it and enjoy it too.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I've been catching up on your blog. I thought I had signed up to follow you, but not. Now I have. I'm using your book list to order some books from the library. I'm strickly audio.
Great blog, wonderful quilts, and stories.