Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 10th - #67

Marilyns' Quilt. This is a colorwash irish chain quilt that I made about 3 years ago. The fabrics truly jumped into my basket while standing at a cabinet of half yard cuts at a store. I bought them having no real clue as to what I was going to do with them, they just felt so nice together.

As I was going through patterns looking for something else, my colorwash irish chain pattern slipped out and like the cartoon light bulb over my head, I realized this was exactly the right project for that collection of fabric. So I started right away and finished it very quickly. While it was off to Carol (my dear friend and long arm quilter) to be quilted I discovered a lovely woman that I was working with had been diagnosed with ALS. Sadly she had lost her Mom and several other close family members to this insidious disease so she knew her prognosis was not good. She had to leave her valued, cherished job of working in the newborn nursery.

When I was new to this hospital, she was one of those people who was always so very kind to me. A welcoming smile and kind word. I had told her before that she always made me feel so "pink"! So when this quilt came back I put the same dark pink binding as you see on that border and sent it off to her. She was blessed with a wonderful family and incredible friends and her husband posted on a blog to keep us all updated on her day to day life and treatments. I loved seeing the photos of her with this quilt on her lap. She died about 2 years after her diagnosis.

I thought I had taken a photo of the quilt totally completed before I sent it, but I haven't located it yet so this one of it up on my design wall will have to do for now. I really hope her family is still getting some warmth and comfort using this quilt.


I discovered a new TV guilty pleasure on the History channel. It is called American Pickers. About two guys who drive all over the midwest and east looking for old barns and yards that have old rusty stuff hanging around and with the owners permission they rummage around to find hidden treasures of old Americana. They love old vehicles, so when I came across this photo of my Uncle Phil's old truck I knew this would be something they would love to find!!

Other than old photos I don't have any actual memories of this old truck. Aunt Adele is my Mom's older sister and we used to spend a lot of time with them. When I was a baby, they would watch me when my Mom was working and when they would be out on their property working they would keep me in an old wooden apple crate. So I was always known as the Apple Box Baby. I love that......

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a nice thing to do for your friend.

Great story about your uncle's truck.

Julie said...

What a great quilt and wonderful story to go with it.