Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27, 2010




36 years ago today we were wed. We dated for about 3 years before the wedding, and even dated for a spell in high school. We discovered that we both attended the same summer daycamp program when we were kids. We recalled certain events but didn't remember each other.

The first day of high school when I was a sophomore, Lynn was a junior, I was walking across the gym to get to the locker room for PE and he was sitting on the stage with a friend. I was wearing a red plaid jumper with a white shirt, white kneesocks and a red headband. He remembers that day, maybe even more clearly than I did.

Being the shy guy that he was, he didn't approach me, until the second semester when I signed up to be on the newspaper (Avalanche) staff. We were assigned one day to go out and sell ads, along with a friend Tim, (whom I had a HUGE crush on!). I ofcourse closed more sales than either of them, they both claimed it was the mini skirt!

In May, Lynn said that his Mom had been laid off from Boeing and they were going to move to Boston, where her family was. So in June, when I gave him my annual to sign, I was a bit sad that he was leaving. I told him that he should write something nice, even though I knew he hated me, for selling more ads (I was vote biggest flirt in my senior class, BTW). I didn't happen to read through my annual until a few days after school was out, and I came across his note. After he signed his name he wrote
PS I don't hate you, I love you........

And off to Boston he moved, feeling pretty safe!! However his Mom didn't find a job there either so they moved BACK!!! My junior year, he appears in the cafeteria about the 3rd week of school!!! I taunted him terribly! In those days, the juniors were in charge of organizing the senior prom and I was on the the committee (anyone surprised?). So I kept teasing him about "are you going to the prom?" About 3 weeks before the event, again I caught him in the hall and said ARE YOU GOING? He said yes. I asked who he was taking and he said "You, of course!". So we went to the prom.

This photo was in an album that was
damaged and I had trouble getting it out. I remember buying this dress. I got it at Nordstroms in downtown Seattle. It was $65 which was an atrocious amount of money at the time. But I sure wish I still had it!!
How about those legs!! Too bad you can't see the shoes, which were dyed to match the dress, which also happened to match my eyes.....

My gosh every time I look at Lynn in this photo I see all three boys!

Anyway, he graduated and went onto Highline College. I enjoyed my senior year. And when I registered to go to Highline I signed up for the newspaper knowing he was there. First day of classes, I got a ride with a friend, walked into the class where Lynn was, told him I needed a ride home, and that was it......

We have had some great times in all these years. We have had some struggles. But I think we are over the hump and in it for the long run. He really is my very best friend. We can finish each others sentences, say a phrase and know exactly what the other is referring to. We birthed, raised, loved three boys and love having 3 (soon to be 4) beautiful grandchildren. It is such a blessing watching our children be great parents, and still all be good friends.

I really am looking forward to the next 36.

7 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful post - great photos - many happy years to you both.

Barb Libo said...

I am so happy that the 2 of you got together!! And what a wonderful story it is too!!
You are right....... Your boys look just like Lynn..... but yet, if I remember correctly, they also look just like themselves...... ORIGINALS! Like you!
I am happy that you were my friend back in that hellish time of RN school...... Your confidence in me, when I was lacking it in myself helped me more than you will ever know....
Congratulations to you and Lynn for all that you have done and all that you do.....
I miss you, my friend!
Barb

Dena said...

Love your photos and story. Congratulations to you both. Here's to the next 36 years!

Dawn W. said...

Now you've done it, Sharon. I'm bawling. Are you happy now? Beautiful love story. I hope you are sharing your remembrances with dear Lynn as well. So so so so so pleased to hear the happy ending! Love you!

Sally said...

Wonderful memories, and I'm glad your present sounds happy too. Sally

LINDA BYLSMA said...

What a wonderful story! And you still look the same. We do need to get together.

Karen F. said...

I remember that day like it was last week! You looked so beautiful and happy. Congratulations!