Saturday, March 24, 2012

Back In The Day


It is a really beautiful Saturday morning here in the northwest corner of the states. And yes, I am UP in the morning!! Most who know me at all, know that my sleeping schedule is not the traditional. But as the spring months arrive and the sun earlier in the day, it does inspire me to enjoy more of the daylight hours. I actually went to bed pretty early last night and when I awoke at 7:30 (In know it's not early for SOME of you) I was up and ready to plan my day.

After my morning shake, and first cuppa coffee I pulled this new cookbook out to have a good look at it. One of the things to do today is make some banana bread. It's always a race around here to let the bananas become ripe enough to use for bread, or have them disappear by someone who thinks they are too ripe for eating. Today I got lucky!

Anyway, this is a really nicely written book. It was suggested by someone on Pinterest, and since I had some Amazon credits I had pre-ordered it and then kind of forgotten about it, so when it arrived in the mail, it really was like a nice present!!

The authors have a sweet bakery in Savannah Georgia. I do love movies and books set in the south. Picture the community from Steel Magnolias. I could live there. Picture the town from Fried Green Tomatoes, I think I could have lived there during that time period. Even the south of Driving Miss Daisy.

When Jeff graduated from boot camp at Fort Benning, Lynn and I went to the ceremony and rented a car and drove around many of the back roads of that area of Georgia and I loved it. He got a little freaked out when we stopped by a very small overgrown cemetery and I wandered back to the car with an interesting rock as a keepsake. "You don't ever TAKE anything from a cemetery!!!"

It does make me wonder how my life might have been different if I had grown up in a different part of the country. Would my religious, political views be different? Most likely.

My almost 60 years on this planet have been spent in a very small pocket of the country. I know there are no "do overs", but I would love to experience some other areas with my remaining decades. And yes, I plan to have decades yet to go!

As for today, banana bread to bake, fabric to be cut, quilts to be refolded, beds with linens to change, and a closet to empty and reorganize. I imagine all these things are happening all over the world today. I wonder if any of the women performing these tasks wish they had spent sometime up here in my little corner of the country.

1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a fun cookbook. Today I am making fresh apple cake - a recipe I got from an elderly woman in SoCal. It is in the oven and smells great already.

Did you know that you can freeze bananas? I just take of the skin and pop them into a baggie - two bananas to a baggie - and freeze. I buy the overripe ones when they are super cheap and have a nice supply of frozen bananas for banana bread whenever I want them - they thaw fast to.

Your day sounds wonderful - we are off to the restore to see if we can find a tall cabinet that I can turn into a cutting table. Then a big birthday bash at our daughter's house - wonderful for a beautiful PNW day.

We've lived in several states - and several areas of those states and have enjoyed the differences we've found there - and also visited in some other states - so much to see and do in this wonderful country.