Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Another one Ready


In an effort to get some stuff cleaned up and finished, I took a few days and got 5 quilt tops that are ready to be quilted and put together the backs for them, and bought 10 yards of warm and natural batting for them. This one is a quilt I started at a retreat in Sequim Washington about 3 or 4 years ago. I remember finding the floral fabric at Sewer's Dream in Burlington and really being drawn to it. Not my usual palette. And it was using a set of rulers that were new to me at the time. It is kind of a modified Storm at Sea pattern.
And so I will send it off to my friend who does the long armed quilting. Along with the other 4...and they will come back to me all quilted and pretty and ready for binding.....and then what? I'll get binding on, eventually. I'm famous for using and actually even washing quilts that don't yet have binding! But then what? I really do have probably about 30 quilts here that are done. Most are NOT true bedsized quilts but good couch, lap, throw sizes. Now I have 5 more to be quilted by Carol, and 3 that I am quilting myself at the next 2 retreats I'm attending. And I have 6 more tops done, and about 8 more close to done, and maybe 10 more in some stage of the process. In my inventory, I must have enough fabric to make what seems like an infinite number of future quilts. When is it enough?
I have gifted probably between 20 - 30 quilts, plus donated another 20 to auctions or other fundraisers. Three of the 5 going to the quilter I am planning to gift to particular people. So what keeps driving me to continue to make more? And why can't I easily part with them when they are done? I rarely have a quilt that I start and finish all in one project. So it will often take me a couple of years from start to finish. I get attached. I like them all. But am I becoming a quilt hoarder? Someone suggested selling some. But truthfully I can't imagine anyone really wanting to buy one. However the actual cost involved is significant enough that just giving them out seems a bit prohibitive. There is most likely between $150 - $250 in each one, once you add up all the materials and then the cost of the quilting. No one who is a crafter ever expects to be paid for their time. An artist is a different thing all together.
It makes me happy to be working with my fabrics. I love the cutting, the sewing, the pressing. I enjoy sharing my quilts with quilting groups when I am asked to come and speak. People tell me my work inspires them to work on their own. I work in bright colors and prints. I've learned a lot about technique and style. So why do I feel like there is something incomplete? I want to just feel a sense of joy and accomplishment. Maybe a sense of guilt that I could have accomplished something of importance with all the time and $$ I have spent on this hobby? Or maybe I just need to have a nice glass of wine and lighten up!!!

No comments: