Monday, June 15, 2009

What's on my design wall Monday June 15th


This was an easy and fun project. I had taken a big stack of 10" squares that I had cut from a bunch of different fabrics to my last retreat. While there I pulled them out and decided to make these cool, rather old fashioned blocks. This is my latest passion with quilting, working with old block styles but with new vibrant types of fabric. I'm auditioning the black along the top for a stopper border. Not sure what might happen after that! It's not terribly big, I find myself more likely to make what I call "lap" quilts rather than bed quilts. For one thing they are more affordable to have quilted! And I think this size is nice to use as gifts for special friends. It doesn't presume to live on someones bed, but can be used by everyone and anyone while watching TV, reading and actually a great size to have in the car during the colder months of the year. I don't know about the rest of you, but like many other things with my husband, we like to be in the car with totally different environments. He likes the window open, I like the air conditioning. If I am hot, he is cold. So by carrying a small quilt in the car, it makes it nicer for the one who is cold!! It has been nice since I got him an XM radio as we can always find something compatible to listen to....and when he wants no music, I pop my iPod on and use my headset! Compromise.....

1 comment:

Dena said...

Great use of 10" blocks. I like your layout and I think the black border does a great job of ending the design.