Sunday, August 22, 2010

Okay, I Admit It!!

I'm a Food Network fiend!! I love the Sunday morning line up starting with Bobby Flay, who is making a pork tenderloin on the grill, which is perfect since that is what I have planned for dinner tonight! His marinade has fresh oregano, but I'll be using fresh thyme from my garden.

The premiere is today of Aarti Party which features this season's winner of Next Food Network Star. She shows how to add Indian spices to everyday food. I LOVE good spice in food, I think I could eat thai everyday.

One night this past week, I had NO idea what I was going to make for dinner at about 3:00. A tour of the freezer and fridge led me to a great meal. Found in the freezer was a package of yakisoba noodles. In the fridge, the remains of a roasted chicken, some green and yellow pepper slices, about a quarter of an onion......looks good so far....

Into the condiment section in the door of the fridge, some remains of some kind of asian sauce I had bought at Trader Joes, and about half a cup of a gyoza dipping sauce.

Into my wonderful large cast iron skillet went some EVOO, a bit of butter......added some chopped garlic and give it a stir, then the veggies all went in...smells GREAT!! Then the chicken I picked off the bones went into the mix, some S & P....And finally the thawed yakisoba noodles and the sauces. OMG!! A touch of sesame oil over all, and then a couple of sprinkles of some toasted sesame seeds. It was amazing. Even the kids loved it!

I feel so accomplished somehow when I am able to create a meal after having a scavenger hunt.
Next time I'll take a photo to share.

I'd love to know what YOU create from your pantry/fridge/freezer. Especially with leftover tortillas....ideas?

1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

You did great with your food hunt. I use leftover tortillas torn into pieces and layered with meat - chicken or beef - cheese - green chilis - some salso (mild for us please, we are wimps) and final layer of salsa or tomato sauce a sprinkle of cheese over the top. Not gourmet, but good and you can use up a lot of stuff from the fridge.